Data is one of the most precious things and it should be protected. Our computer or laptops might have hundreds of our personal data which must be protected from intruders. There are many cases of cybercrime recently wherein the system gets hacked or their files are deleted. Hence, it is very important to store our data in a secure manner. One of the most suitable methods for protection is using antivirus software. Cybersecurity firms develop many types of anti-malware and antivirus software to safeguard our data. Whenever our system is injected with a trojan or any malware, it reports them to the user. The user can handle the virus by deleting it or performing some operation which will prevent any bad consequences happening to our data. But, the antivirus software is premium and cost a lot of money.
To prevent spending money on it, we have compiled a list of top 10 free antivirus software available in the market. However, it must be noted that the premium counterpart is more efficient and powerful than the free version.
Top 10 Free Antivirus Software List
1. Avast Antivirus
Avast turns out to be the number one brand in the free list. It can protect the computers against various protection malware and attacks. The latest release of the antivirus software is said to be the lightest solution available in the market. Some of the features include:
- Intelligent Antivirus which detects malware, ransomware, viruses and other phishing attacks.
- CyberCapture is a scanner which sends suspicious files to a cloud server where it is scanned. If it is a malware, all the users are protected against it in the future.
- WiFi Inspector can be used to find flaws in the WiFi connection and makes it more secure.
- Game Mode can be used to pause all the notifications from appearing.
- Behaviour Shield can be used to keep an eye on all the software and applications installed on the system.
Avast Antivirus turns out to be far superior to its counterparts in the free version. Further, the paid version contains more features like ransomware detection, firewall and so on.
2. Bitdefender Antivirus
Bitdefender is another top-notch product in the field of antivirus. It has all the important features even in the free version. It can be compared with the Avast Antivirus software and is a tough competition to it. Some of the features are:
- On-Demand Scanning can be used for removing trojan, spyware, viruses etc.
- The anti-phishing feature helps to protect users from spam websites.
- The anti-fraud feature can be used for protection against fraud websites.
- Behavioral Detection can be used to monitor the applications and software.
The paid version comes with many features like a password manager, browser hardening and so on. But the free counterpart is no less and it can be used for basic protection. Bitdefender Autopilot is a feature which can be used to keep the security at check-in the background.
3. Avira Antivirus
In 1986, Avira made its entry into the market. Avira antivirus is known as a solid software with a clean user interface. The UI lacks in the majority of the antivirus software but Avira has excelled in it. However, it is not as strong as its competitors like Avast and Bitdefender in the free version. Some of the features are:
- Protection Cloud is a feature which warns the user against the unknown files in the cloud. It provides real-time protection.
- Antivirus scanner which removes the majority of virus, ransomware, trojan and so on.
- Browser Safety extension can be used for tracking blocker, safe browsing and price comparison.
- PUA Shield monitors the applications and prevents any harm to the system.
4. Kaspersky Antivirus
Russian cybersecurity team came up with one of the most powerful antivirus software available in the market. Kaspersky is available in a home and enterprise version. The antivirus software is fixed to its job without any fancy features and enhancement. Some of the features are:
- Web protection makes sure that the user is protected from the spam websites.
- Emai protection can also be sued to protect against the spam emails.
The premium version offers more security like a password manager, kids security, online transaction security and so on.
5. AVG Antivirus
In 2016, Avast Software successfully acquired AVG technologies. So logically, AVG Antivirus is a part of Avast group. Avast is more popular in the non-English language hence the company gets the hold of English speaking audience too. Some of the features are:
- Complete Virus Scan which scans the whole system for trojan, virus, malware and so on.
- Web Protection and Email Protection are also included in the software.
- Performance Scanner which shows system’s performance issues.
- Security Updates which provides real-time updates.
- AVG VPN Tool trial for 30 days. It includes a file shredder which shreds the files completely.
Other than the free features, AVG also provides Internet Security in its premium version. AVG Ultimate helps in Firewall, dedicated support and so on.
6. ZoneAlarm Antivirus
ZoneAlarm by Checkpoint is an amazing software which usually makes its entry in the top 10 list. Earlier, the company named it ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall and later renamed it. The Firewall feature is still present which is a great addition. Some of the other features are:
- Personal Firewall which keeps track of traffic on the system.
- Scanning Modes to scan the system.
- Gaming Mode to avoid irritating notifications.
- Antivirus and Antispyware mode to get rid of malware, trojan, virus and so on.
7. Panda Antivirus
Panda Antivirus is more suited for the users who prefer lightweight antivirus solutions. It has a majority of the features available in the other antivirus software. Some of the features are:
- Cloud feature is used to make the software lightweight.
- Real-time updates for virus protection.
- USB Protection to protect the system against USB virus.
- Process Monitor and Rescue Kit are bonus features.
8. Sophos Home
Sophos is another top class antivirus software which can be preferred. Some of the notable features are:
- Real-time thread intelligence to monitor the apps.
- Clean interface.
- Computer Security to remove malware, trojan, virus and so on.
9. 360 Total Security
Qihoo’s 360 Total Security is a freeware which has the premium features at zero cost. Some of the features are:
- Auto-scanning of files to prevent the files from being affected.
- Sandboxing and clean-up feature.
- Web Protection.
10. Adaware Antivirus
The last freeware to be included in the list is the Adaware Antivirus from Lavasoft. It was earlier known as Ad-Aware and was renamed later. It might not be the most preferred option for many but it has some notable features like:
- Download Protection which scans all the files downloaded.
- Infected files are blocked in real-time scanning.
- Protects the system from popular viruses.
Obviously, the top 5 freeware listed are a more to-go option. However, all the software listed have some unique features which make them stand out from the crowd. Hence, it depends on the user requirements which freeware will be apt for them.