Huawei overtakes Apple’s position as the world’s second largest smartphone manufacturer

In the second quarter of the year 2018, Huawei overtook Apple and became the world’s second largest smartphone manufacturer. Many analyst firms made this announcement after analyzing reports.

According to the announcement, the most recent index suggests that worldwide smartphone sales of Huawei grew two percent, whereas that of Samsung fell by 12.7 percent. Huawei reached 374 million, whereas that of Samsung fell down to 72.3 million.

Analysts believes that the intense fall in the sales of Samsung is due to competition from Chinese manufacturers. The competition leads to reduced demand for smartphones in general and for its flagship devices such as Galaxy S9. The company still has a hope that its Galaxy Note 9 phablet will perform better in the short term.

Smartphone market worldwide

Considering operating system, the competition will always reside between the Android and the iOS. This year, Android extended its lead to 88 percent, whereas iOS covers the remaining 12 percent of the market.

Huawei was very successful with the drop of iOS market. It grew sales by 38.6 percent to 49.9 million throughout the world. Also, this helped to increase its share to 13.3 percent. Huawei managed to do this with its high-end Huawei P20 and mid-range smartphones. Addition to this, smartphones released under the Honor brand played a major role in its success.

Anshul Gupta, research director at Gartner believes that Huawei always brings innovative features into its smartphones. Also, it never forgets to expand its smartphone portfolio to capture larger customer segments.

The reason behind its success is consistent investment into channels, brand building, and supply of the Honor devices. Huawei sells smartphones under the Honor brand into 70 markets worldwide. And, it is the key factor behind Huawei’s growth.

Apple shipments had no moment, growing just 0.9 percent. Also, the demand for the iPhone X was slowing much earlier than its previous models. The market share of Apple is 12.1 percent.

Gupta believes that Apple had to face competition from Chinese brands and consumer expectations. Consumers want value for money, which is putting immense pressure on Apple to deliver something innovative on their premium iPhones to provide value for money. If Apple is successful to do so, it will surely increase its growth.

Along with Huawei, the Chinese smartphone brand Xiaomi was also successful with the fall in iOS market. Its market grew from 5.8 percent to 8.8 percent.

Disclaimer: This information is covered based on the latest research and development available. However, it may not fully reflect all current aspects of the subject matter.

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Stories



Join Infomance on Telegram for everyday extra and something beyond.

Subscribe Free & Stay Informed!!

Recommended Stories